Orkney Housing Association
Quality Affordable Homes for Orkney

Reporting Antisocial Behaviour

If you have a complaint about antisocial behaviour eg, nuisance, annoyance or harassment being caused by a neighbour (or anyone living with them or by a visitor to their home) you may report it to the Association.

Antisocial Behaviour

Antisocial behaviour can be reported online.

Again, you can instead contact us via phone, email, or in person at our office.

Making a Service Complaint

The Association aims to provide a top quality customer service but we are aware that sometimes we may not achieve this. When this happens we want you to let us know and give us the opportunity to make things right for you.

What can I complain about?
What is not a complaint?

The procedure for making complaints is available to view, and complaints can be made on-line.

You can also contact us via phone, email, or in person at our office.

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

After we have fully investigated, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at it. More information is available in our procedure for making complaints.

Scottish Housing Regulator (SHR)

If you have concerns about the way we operate, then you have the right to report this to the SHR. If you wish to find out more, the SHR site has information available, including a Complaints and Significant Performance Failures (pdf) leaflet.